The beautiful ruins testify to the power of the former castle. In the 10th Century the fortress of Pettange was known by the name of 'Pittigero Mazini' which by the 13th Century had become Pettange or Pittange.
Throughout the Middle Ages the names of the lords of Pettange are connected with Luxembourg's major events e.g. the wedding of Ermesinde, the accession to the throne of Henry IV, and the marriage contract of Count John the Blind.
In the early 14th Century Arnold of Pittange married Marguerite of Roussy, great-granddaughter of Ermesinde. They had a son named Arnold the Younger, who had one daughter named Irmengard. The latter, by marrying John of Créhange, transferred the manor of Pittange with all its dependencies to this illustrious house. John's grandson -also named John- fought on the side of René, Duke of Lorraine, in the war against Prince Charles the Bold (Charles le Téméraire), Duke of Burgundy.
The victors did not forgive his betrayal; at the end of the war they laid siege to Pittange castle and burned it down to the ground. The Goods of the Créhange family were confiscated and forfeited to the Government General of Luxembourg in 1494.
In 1571 the four corner towers were added.
The troops of Louis XIV bombarded the castle in 1684 and left it as it still is today. The ruins and all properties of House Créhange were bequeathed to Count Peyrouse, whose heirs in turn passed Pittange and Bissen along with other properties in 1837 to the Duke of Arenberg.
Since 1947, castle Pettange is Luxembourg state property.
Pettange is one of the best-preserved moated castles in the country. The square structure of 30 by 30 metres was surrounded by a 15 metre wide moat. At its centre was the impressive 9 by 9 metre keep with a 2.2 metre wall thickness.
Arnold of Pettange, a vassal of Countess Ermesinde, signed the Luxembourg city freedom charter in 1244. John the Blind granted the family the high court of the lordship Pettange.
The castle was destroyed in the course of the 15th Century and rebuilt as a chateau at the beginning of the next century.
The four corner towers were added in 1571. "Castrum amoenum ac situ jucundum ... beautiful castle and pleasant place" is how abbot Bertels describes Castle Pettange in his "Historia Luxemburgensis" published in 1605.
After the French General Vauban captured the fortress of Luxembourg in 1684, General Boufflers was ordered by Louis XIV to dismantle -among others- the castles of Pettange and Schoenfels. The French troops merely tore down the walls -which had lost much of their military relevance since the invention of gunpowder- and filled the moat.
The first land registry of 1824 reveals the state of the castle: Buildings still in use at the time were attached to the four outer walls. Southwest of the castle stood a larger building, which has now completely disappeared. In 1850, the historian Engling notes the decline of the castle.
In 1910, the then owner, Prince of Arenberg had anything of value removed from the castle. In 1920, the south facade collapsed. The castle was used as a quarry.