Mersch is the main town of a borough with some 7500 inhabitants. In addition to attractions such as the Hunnebour, the Dreibueren, the Mamerleyen and Luxembourg's only menhir (in Enelter), the castles of Pettingen and Schoenfels are worth a visit.
St. Michael's tower in the car park is the only remnant of the former parish church of Mersch. The main part of the church was demolished in the middle of the 19th Century but the bell tower remained intact, thanks to the request in 1844 of Queen Anna Palowna, wife of King William II, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg; its onion dome reminded the Queen of her native Russia.
The new parish church was built in the mid-19th Century in the late classicism style. Four doric columns are dominated by the "Eye of God". The interior was painted by Father Notker Becker from the Abbey of Maria Laach (1936).
On the "Mies' you can visit the remains of a Gallo-Roman villa featuring well-preserved underfloor heating (Hypocaustum) and a massive 75 x 6.5 metre water tank, capable of holding 385 m3 of water.
In commemoration of the centennial of our independence a column was erected on "Krounebierg” in 1939. Pulled down by order of the Gauleiter in 1940, a new monument was inaugurated in 1959.
The imposing House Servais, built at the end of the 18th Century, houses the headquarters of the “Centre National de Littérature”. From the car park on the Michael square enter the castle gate bearing the arms of Count John Frederic von Elter.