Chateau Koerich, situated in the Goebelange brook valley is a typical example of our lowland chateaux. With its impressive tower and its exterior walls arranged in an almost perfect square it forms a remarkable unit with Koerich's baroque church and old houses. Wirich Ist, Lord of Koerich, Seneschal of the court of Luxembourg, started building the castle in the late 12th and early 13th Century. The tower - known as 'witches tower' - and the exterior walls are of late romanesque style. It has a 12 x 11.6 m base and a thickness of 3 to 3.5 meters, and -though currently only 11 metres high- its estimated original height of 25 to 30 metres made this one of the most imposing towers in our region. A spiral staircase, integrated within the walls, provides the connection between the various floors. A reconstruction in the Gothic style took place in 1300.
Between 1380 and 1385 Gilles d'Autel-Koerich made important alterations by building Gothic living quarters with two south-facing rectangular towers. Today, only the south-west tower remains. The chapel, dedicated to St Michael is on the ground floor hence its name 'chapel tower'. A guards room was on the 1st floor.
From 1580 to 1585 the then owner Jacques II de Raville undertook significant conversions in the Renaissance style, thus creating an impressive feudal mansion, as the magnificent fireplace on the 1st floor of the south-west tower and the large windows testify. Nevertheless, some elements of military architecture remain.
In 1728, the southern wing was rebuilt in the Baroque style. After the 2nd half of the 18th Century the chateau was no longer lived in, and hence -due to lack of maintenance- it eventually became uninhabitable. In the early 1950s the last owner, Mr P Flammang undertook building works to safeguard the crumbling structures. Currently, the ruins are owned by the Luxembourg State.
(References: "Untersuchungen über zwei Burgen in Koerich" by R. Krantz and N. Quintus).